Read the text and tick the four pieces of advice of A-E below that are mentioned.
37) ___ A He decides himself whether a job or career is more important for him or her.
38) ___ B If a person decides that he wants a career he must work hard.
39) ___ C A suitable background is not so important for a desired career.
40) ___ D Creativity, self-promotion are necessary for one’s success in business.
41) ___ E To become a successful businessman means to develop confidence in oneself and take control of one’s future.
Having a job and having a career are two very different things. A job is something you do to make money. You may enjoy the job, work hard at it and do well but you are primarily doing it for the money satisfying your other interests outside of the work environment.
Whether a young person decides to get a job or plan a career the job market today is quite different from his/her parents (and even probably for his/her older sibling) in the Soviet system, under raspredeleniye, young people were guaranteed a job upon graduation. Now, not only are there no guarantees after university, institute or school, but, available jobs are scarce and difficult to secure. The young person in today’s Russia faces a very competitive job market.